[robocup-humanoid] Time Penalties for the Goalie

N. Michael Mayer nmmayer at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 02:09:31 EST 2009

Dear all,

I think we need to discuss about time penalties for goalies. This has been
already the subject of a discussion between Joerg Zimmer ( I guess he is
your student) and me:

Currently the rules impose a 0s time penalty to golies for fouls as
occluding the goal.

On one hand this is a very hard penalty:
The problem is that exactly the situations when the goalie gets a time
penalty usually are very critical game situations. If the goalie has to be
removed from the goal in such a situation (and has to come back all the way
from the middle line), it seems very probable that the opponent team can
score a goal meanwhile.

Joerg and me stumbled over several problems there:

1. It seems to be a hard (too hard ?) penalty for such fouls as occluding
the goal.
2. The robot handlers of the own team have to remove the robot. How can we
avoid that they just pretend do not hear the instruction of the referee.

On the other hand:
We could simplify the rules a lot by getting rid of the free kick completly:
Chapter 12 can be shortened and present chapter 13 can be removed completely
if we would find a solution to the above mentioned problem.

I would like to bring up the dicussion to this point and see what the teams
think about it.

Thanks to Oskar for taking the organisation of the rules again.

Michael